From page 242 of The Aquarian Teacher by Yogi Bhajan:
A student asked Yogi Bhajan about harmonious communication.
“Sir, are there rules for harmonious communication that are universal and get one beyond the rational mind?”
He said, “Here are the rules of communication to memorize.”
- Rule One: You are communicating for a better tomorrow, not to spoil today.
- Rule Two: Whatever you are going to say is going to live forever. And you have to live through it. Therefore, take care you don’t have to live through the mud of your own communication.
- Rule Three: One wrong word can do much more wrong than you can even imagine or even estimate.
- Rule Four: Words spoken are a chance for communication. Don’t turn them into a war.
- Rule Five: When you communicate, you have to communicate again. Don’t make the road rough.
These are the rules.
Harmonious communication is the base of all that you need on this planet and hereafter. Even if you praise God in an unharmonious way, not only will your friends hate you, but the angels will not come to your rescue.
Therefore, if you ever find you have this defect, there are ways to correct it:
- I have learned that the best way to improve your communication is to stand before a mirror and talk to your image. Then you respond back on behalf of the image as if it were a separate personality.
- The other way is to have a tape recorder with you, and record everything you say during the day. (Be sure to get permission from any others you are talking to). In the evening, sit down and listen to that tape. Then just understand how offensive, neurotic and inhuman you are. Listen to it very loud. Create a harmonious communication out of your own tape. It’s called “hypnotic communication of self-correction”.