Taught by Yogi Bhajan on April 15, 1986
Instructions for this Kriya
Comments: “The heaviest Breath of Fire will give you something – it burns bacteria and viruses of the future.”
It is required to cover the head for this kriya to prevent a headache.
Eye Position: Closed
Mudra: Surya Mudra
Time: 13 Minutes
- Sit in Easy Pose with a straight spine. Cover the head to prevent a headache.
- Bend the left elbow, relaxed at the side of the body, forearm perpendicular to the ground. Place the hand at shoulder height in Surya Mudra, Sun Finger (ring finger) and thumb tips touch, palm faces forward.
- Close the right nostril with the right Jupiter Finger (index finger), curl the rest of the fingers onto the Venus mounds at the base of the fingers and hold them tight with the thumb.
- Powerfully inhale and exhale through the left nostril. The breath will become a heavy Breath of Fire. Move the navel with the breath.
- Breathe rhythmically with the music; 2 breaths per second. In the original class, music “Sat Nam Ji, Sat Nam Ji, Wahe Guru…” by Singh Kaur was played loudly.
To End: Inhale deep, hold the breath for 25 seconds and interlace the fingers in front of the face, arms relaxed, palms together and face down. Pull the hands apart without letting go. Use force to create tremendous pressure on the fingers. Exhale. Inhale deep, hold the breath for 15 seconds and repeat the pulling on the interlaced fingers. Exhale. Repeat one more time. Relax. The music ends.
You can view Yogi Bhajan teaching this meditation at the 25 minute mark of this video: